Tag Archive | OpenOffice

How to Fix the OpenOffice Copy and Paste Crash Bug

The new version of Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) shipped with a version of OpenOffice that contains a critical bug that will cause Writer to crash when you attempt to copy from Writer and paste to another application, causing you to lose your work. I blogged about this bug when I first installed Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft).

The LaunchPad bug report contains a “semi-fix” by adding a few resource lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list that will allow installation of “testing” packages that fixes the bug.

To fix your OpenOffice, add the following lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file (sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list):

deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/ubuntu/ edgy/$(ARCH)/
deb http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/ubuntu/ edgy/all/

Then do:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade

… to install the packages.

Edit: The first deb line above is wrapped to the next line. Ensure that when you paste that first line to your sources.list file that it’s all on ONE LINE.

 

Advertisements

Adventures in a New Ubuntu 6.10 Clean Install – Day 2, Part 2

Day 2, Part 2

The First Bug Encountered in Ubuntu

I actually wrote Day 2, Part 1 in OpenOffice Writer. When I was done it, I logged on to this blog in the new Firefox 2.0, started the post, and copied and pasted it – BAM! OOo Writer crashed! It didn’t crash when I copied it, it crashed when I pasted into Firefox, but nothing was pasted! I tried again, and it crashed once more with nothing pasted. I couldn’t paste my post.

So my first thought was to copy into a different application to see if it would work. If it didn’t, then it probably meant that the problem lies with OpenOffice. Problem was, I didn’t have any other programs to paste to without losing my formatting and links. And since I had done nothing to the system yet, I didn’t have any blog software to work in. Not even email!

Enabling All Repositories in the New “Software Sources” Applet

So I fired up the “Add/Remove” Applet in search of something else to paste to. On loading it, it dawned on me that I needed to enable all repositories. Well, I didn’t need it to solve this first bug of mine, but I knew I would need all of them down the line.

So I clicked on System > Administration > Software Sources. I was greeted with something different from the previous Ubuntu 6.06.1 Dapper. This new applet was categorized in 5 different tabs: Ubuntu 6.10, Internet Updates, Third Party, Authentication, and Statistics.

The first tab, Ubuntu 6.10, was where I could enable/disable the main, universe, multiverse, and restricted sources. I could also tell it to download from the Server for Canada, since this is where I live!

The second tab, Internet Updates, allowed me to select what kind of updates (important, recommended, proposed, or backported) it should look for. It was also where I could tell it how often to check for updates automatically and other related settings.

The third tab, Third Party, allows a user to add custom APT lines of repositories that they want as a source. You can even add a CDROM.

The fourth tab, Authentication, allows a user to add (or import) Key Files for source authentication.

The Statistics tab, the fifth one, allows a user to select if they want to submit statistical information that will anonymously send a list of installed software and how often it was used to improve support for the most popular applications and to rank applications in search results.

Nifty! I like that idea…

Investigating the First Bug Encountered

From the Add/Remove Applet, I decided to add the AbiWord Word Processor to see if I could paste from OOo Writer to it so I can then paste from AbiWord to Firefox.

Well, it worked… kinda. It pasted the text, but crashed OOo Writer and my text lost all of its format and hyperlinks. I tried again, just to see. It still crashed, BUT the text never pasted.

So this meant that it was either an OOo bug or something – that I might not know of – in between the OOo Writer and the pasted application. Not sure what it could be, though… Will have to investigate this later, though. I’m itching to do other things in Ubuntu…

UPDATE: This is a known bug and has already been reported in LaunchPad at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/62432

UPDATE:  You can find a solution here