Archive | October 27, 2006

Adventures in a New Ubuntu 6.10 Clean Install – Day 2, Part 2

Day 2, Part 2

The First Bug Encountered in Ubuntu

I actually wrote Day 2, Part 1 in OpenOffice Writer. When I was done it, I logged on to this blog in the new Firefox 2.0, started the post, and copied and pasted it – BAM! OOo Writer crashed! It didn’t crash when I copied it, it crashed when I pasted into Firefox, but nothing was pasted! I tried again, and it crashed once more with nothing pasted. I couldn’t paste my post.

So my first thought was to copy into a different application to see if it would work. If it didn’t, then it probably meant that the problem lies with OpenOffice. Problem was, I didn’t have any other programs to paste to without losing my formatting and links. And since I had done nothing to the system yet, I didn’t have any blog software to work in. Not even email!

Enabling All Repositories in the New “Software Sources” Applet

So I fired up the “Add/Remove” Applet in search of something else to paste to. On loading it, it dawned on me that I needed to enable all repositories. Well, I didn’t need it to solve this first bug of mine, but I knew I would need all of them down the line.

So I clicked on System > Administration > Software Sources. I was greeted with something different from the previous Ubuntu 6.06.1 Dapper. This new applet was categorized in 5 different tabs: Ubuntu 6.10, Internet Updates, Third Party, Authentication, and Statistics.

The first tab, Ubuntu 6.10, was where I could enable/disable the main, universe, multiverse, and restricted sources. I could also tell it to download from the Server for Canada, since this is where I live!

The second tab, Internet Updates, allowed me to select what kind of updates (important, recommended, proposed, or backported) it should look for. It was also where I could tell it how often to check for updates automatically and other related settings.

The third tab, Third Party, allows a user to add custom APT lines of repositories that they want as a source. You can even add a CDROM.

The fourth tab, Authentication, allows a user to add (or import) Key Files for source authentication.

The Statistics tab, the fifth one, allows a user to select if they want to submit statistical information that will anonymously send a list of installed software and how often it was used to improve support for the most popular applications and to rank applications in search results.

Nifty! I like that idea…

Investigating the First Bug Encountered

From the Add/Remove Applet, I decided to add the AbiWord Word Processor to see if I could paste from OOo Writer to it so I can then paste from AbiWord to Firefox.

Well, it worked… kinda. It pasted the text, but crashed OOo Writer and my text lost all of its format and hyperlinks. I tried again, just to see. It still crashed, BUT the text never pasted.

So this meant that it was either an OOo bug or something – that I might not know of – in between the OOo Writer and the pasted application. Not sure what it could be, though… Will have to investigate this later, though. I’m itching to do other things in Ubuntu…

UPDATE: This is a known bug and has already been reported in LaunchPad at https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/62432

UPDATE:  You can find a solution here

Advertisements

Adventures in a New Ubuntu 6.10 Clean Install – Day 2, Part 1

Day 2, Part 1

Configuring Display Settings and Resolution

The first thing I had to do once I got to my Ubuntu desktop (after login, of course!) was to reconfigure my display settings. The maximum resolution allowed was 1024×768 with a refresh rate of 60Hz. My default is usually 1280×1024 @ 75Hz. So my screen was too small and flickered at such a low refresh rate.

To fix this screen resolution issue, I did a sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

I also had to Google my monitor’s specs so I can correctly tell the xserver what my horizontal and vertical frequency ranges are. When I ran that command in terminal and followed the steps, I noticed that Ubuntu had set my X Server Driver to “vesa” for some reason. I changed that to ATI, my video card manufacturer. I continued with the other steps and mostly hit Enter throughout unless I knew what to change. I got to the frequency range and inputted the correct numbers.

After finishing the reconfiguration of my display settings, I did a CTRL+BACKSPACE to restart the xserver and make the settings go into effect.

My display was finally normal again.